September 22 2017
- The climb to The Onion starts at Nu-Ti-Jah Lodge at Bow lake on Hwy 93 north.
- Follow the trail around the lake and up some steps.
- The a sign to Bow Hut takes you over the chock block to the left
- Trail follows the creek
- The through trees
- Cross creek with open views of the headwall with Bow Hut above
- Trail goes towards hanging glacier then turns right to Headwall
- Top of headwall Bow Hut in sight.
- Leave Hut to left as if going to Wapta Glacier
- Go up glacier edge around rockwall
- Then right up the Onion
We set off on a cloudy snowy day and got lucky as the clouds lifted. With the heavy snow fall scrambling up some of the ledges to the Onion did not look appealing.
Distance return 19.5 km Time return 7:30 hrs ( inc 30 min lunch ) Elevation Accumulated gain 930 m Elevation to Summit 820 m Summit height 2695 m