September 15 2017
- Heros Knob on Hwy 742 Smith Dorrien Spray lakes road 500 m south of the Sawmill Recreational Area.
- The area has a wide flat opening on the West side of the road.
- Walk down towards the creek through the open meadow looking for a trail heading south following the creek.
- The trail comes out at the Smith Dorrien Creek crossing. Oposite the Logging road.
- Parts of the road are in good shape most of it is now over grown. Daffern says road in remarkable good shape not any more
- Go around a large fallen tree
- Find old road in open area (see Pic )
- Then small gravel wash
- Old road ends at the view to the headwall and winter avalanche
- Stay on right side of stream through the Valley
- The avalanche area is not as bad as it looks
- Head up left side of headwall ( see Pic )
- At the top of the headwall go right
- Into the hanging valley
- Stay right and look for a opening onto the ridge ( see Pic )
- Pick up animal trail through trees
- Then open to Summit
- May return down from Col but did not try this route
Sorry for the small smudge on camera lens on left of pictures
Distance return 10 km Time return 5: hrs ( inc 30 min lunch ) Elevation Accumulated gain 850 m Elevation to Summit 775 m Summit height 2520 m